- Diarrhoea is a common problem for travellers but with careful attention to hygiene it is possible to reduce your chances of suffering frequent trips to the toilet.
- Never drink tap water or use it to brush your teeth – use iodine or other water purification solutions. Be aware that local beer ‘chyang’ is often made with untreated water.
- Make sure boiled water really is boiled and not just heated.
- Avoid eating meat while in the mountains and stick to carbohydrates and vegetables.
- Wash your hands frequently and ensure everybody in your group, including staff, follows this rule.
There are now several health posts located in the main trekking areas, some staffed by western volunteers. Be aware that some are only open during the main trekking season.
Sagarmatha National Park (Everest region)
- Nicole Niquille Hospital
- Lukla Government Health Post
- Namche Bazar Health Post
- Pheriche HRA Aid-post
- Khunde Hospital
- Machermo Rescue Post
Annapurna Conservation Area
- Besisahar Government Hospital
- Chame Government Hospital
- Manang HRA Aid-post
- Ghorepani Government Health Post
- Jomsom Government Hospital
- Muktinath Government Health Post
Langtang National Park
- Dhunche Government Hospital
- Syabru Government Health Post