Thamel located in the center of Kathmandu, is the prime location where most of the tourist coming to Nepal stay or visit at least once in their trip.There are more than 75 tourist standard hotels (HAAN).Thamel allies provide numerous options for all types of restaurants, trekking gears, souvenirs, handicrafts, woolen,travel agencies, supermarkets and rickshaw ride. These all features contribute together to make Thamel attractive and convenient among the tourists. With more than 60 percentage of total tourist staying in Thamel, it becomes the responsibility of all the stakeholders and the government to make Thamel green,clean and tourist friendly.
Current Situation of Thamel:
Although traffic police have imposed a new law since late 2017 on banning the vehicles entering the core allies of Thamel, it remains tattered and shattered.The streets are narrow with unaligned electric poles, are unsurfaced with numerous potholes here and there. These have led to increase in the amount of dust in the area during summer and muddy street during monsoon. The allies of Thamel are also a common disposal of waste due to lack of dustbins in the area.Overall, Thamel is unpleasant scenically and most of the visitors are disappointed and cut short their stay in Thamel due to below expectation condition, which is bad for Nepalese tourism industry. “I was sadly shocked when the taxi stopped me randomly and couldn’t take me further due to road construction process. I had to walk all the way to my hotel carrying all my backpacks” Grace Melville (19th February,2018).
2. About KEEP:
The Kathmandu Environmental Education Project (KEEP) is a registered non-profit, nongovernmental organization aiming to ensure the future ecological and cultural prosperity of Nepal
and its people by maximizing the benefits and reducing the negative impacts associated with tourism.
The objectives of KEEP are to:
-Promote sustainable ecotourism and provide environmental, cultural and health education to travelers and the tourism industry through free and unbiased informational and training programs.
- Enable sustainable development through outreach projects, training and resources in order to seek a more equitable distribution of the economic benefits of tourism for the people of Nepal.
- Conduct research and development activities on environmental and associated socialissues.
3. About The Project:
“Thamel The Green Project” will focus on the various ways through which Thamel can be developed into an area that is more vivid and tourist friendly. KEEP would play a vital role in
coordinating with all the stakeholders and implementing the project. The project will be divided into various phases, beginning with the first phase. The first phase of the project includes
Traffic Police Bit - Keshar Mahal Entrance – Tridevi Marg – Narshing Chowk – Paryatan Marg
The details of the project are as follows:
- Traffic Police Bit: The round stand of the traffic police will be surrounded with rhododendron, national flower of Nepal. The flower will be artificial as the maintenance in the area is difficult for original ones.
- Keshar Mahal Entrance: Iron net pole-based “welcome flower gate” will be constructed at the cross point of the entrance. Both side of the gate will be decorated with flower vase containing flowers such as rhododendron, soonghava and begumbeli.
- Tridevi Marg: Both side of the tridevi marg wherever suitable will be decorated with flower vase containing flowers such as rhodendron, begum beli, soongava and different green plants. In addition, several dustbins and resting seat will be placed across the area where suitable. All the unmanaged wires in the electric poles across the area will be covered
with vertical/horozantal advertisement made of flex. The advertisement will help in generating the revenue.
- Narshing Chowk: A 9*6 feet flowery island along with resting benches and safe drinking water supply will be constructed in the junction of Narshing chowk.
- Paryatan Marg: All the unmanaged wires in the electric poles across the area will be covered with vertical/horizontal advertisement made of flex. The advertisement will help in generating the revenue. Further, a small flowery island along with resting bench, safe drinking water supply and dustbin will be constructed in the junction.
4. The Goal: The primary goal of the project is to create an environmental and tourist friendly and scenically appealing Thamel.
5. The Objectives:
The secondary objectives of the project are as follows:
- To construct an entrance gate to Thamel.
- Provide resting places in between the allies.
- Create flower garden in the allies of Thamel.
- To provide dustbins within the appropriate distance of the allies.
- To cover the unmanaged wire with horizontal/vertical flex advertisement.
6. Sustainability of the Project: The project will be conducted in three phases. After completion of all the phases, a minimum maintenance fee will be charged from all the households and companies of Thamel. The flex banners also will help in the revenue generation for the sustainability of the project. KEEP will take the responsibility of the maintenance.